The hardest part of any plan or goal is starting. I’ll start tomorrow. I’ll start Monday. I’ll start on the 1st of the month. Sound familiar? It doesn’t matter what day of the week it is or even what time it is. Make the choice to begin, and do it right then. Every day after you get over the initial “start” day seems to get easier and easier. Here’s some tips that work for me that might work for you too:
Steps To Starting:
- First, you need to decide on what your goal is.
- Then, you should write down (in order of priority, if applicable) the steps you need to take to achieve that goal.
- “Start” by doing or completing the first step.
- Incorporate a new step every day or every week, whichever makes more sense with your schedule.
- Schedule your goal achieving steps on your calendar so you can check it off your “to do” list.
What If Things Don’t Go According to Schedule:
- Don’t beat yourself up! Negative self talk will not help you achieve your goal.
- Don’t think of setbacks as having to “start over.” You are human, you make mistakes, and sh*t happens.
- When faced with a setback, say to yourself: okay, that happened or that didn’t happen today, now I’m moving on and continue with the steps you created to achieve your goal.
Other Tips For Success:
- Pick an accountability buddy.
- Choose someone who’s goals and values align with yours.
- Choose someone who won’t flake out on you.
- I believe these are key to a successful accountability buddy, or the accountability won’t work.