I absolutely love dried blueberries. Something about their texture and flavor is so yummy! Unfortunately most dried fruit has added sugar, and that’s not Paleo friendly. However, with some searching of the inter-webs you CAN find unsweetened dried fruit! Sometimes you can find unsweetened dried fruit at the grocery store but unsweetened dried blueberries were a struggle for me to find so I went online and voila there they were!
You can tailor this recipe to be whatever dried fruit and nuts you like. The important thing to make it a Paleo trail mix is to use unsweetened dried fruit and raw natural nuts. You can’t use the salted kind you buy at the store because they are almost always roasted and salted in vegetable oil of some kind. Vegetable oils are also not Paleo friendly because they are not considered healthy fats. If you want salty trail mix buy the raw natural nuts and roast them yourself in the oven with olive oil or avocado oil and some salt.
You can also add chocolate chips to this trail mix. Enjoy Life brand makes dairy and soy free chocolate chips so I recommend those!
Paleo Trail Mix | Makes 16 1/4 Cup Servings
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Dried Blueberries
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Dried Cranberries
- 1 Cup Almonds
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 1 Cup Pecans
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil OR Avocado Oil
- Salt to Taste
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place almonds, cashews, and pecans in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil or avocado oil and stir.
- Place the nuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in an even layer.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes stirring every 5 minutes so the nuts don’t burn.
- When the nuts are done remove from oven and let cool.
- When cool place the nuts in a bowl and mix in dried blueberries and dried cranberries.
- If you’re adding chocolate chips be sure you add them last and when the nuts are completely cooled.
- Store in an airtight container.