While this is not a Paleo recipe, it’s damn good! I was in the mood for carbs and cheese. Can anyone tell I’m stressed? Often times when we are craving a lot of salt, carbs, and cheese we are also stressing out. The reason for these cravings is that our body is looking for a quick source of energy to help us function while we are in this fight or flight state. However, these quick sources of energy are what they are, quick. Then you’re left with a crash later and more cravings for quick sources of energy which usually leads to sweets and simple carbs like pasta, cake, sugar, you get the idea.
For sustainable energy look to healthy fats and grass fed sources of protein. Which is exactly why I love Paleo, it’s based on a diet of high fat, moderate protein and low carb. However, some of us need more carbs than others and one diet does not fit all! Which is why sometimes I eat cheese and pasta and I’m more squirrelly when it comes to eating a Paleo diet.
And sometimes it’s just because I want to and I will damn well do as I please. Plain and simple. If we aren’t giving ourselves a break sometimes and letting ourselves enjoy the things we love, we put too much stress on ourselves and really limit ourselves. So this week it’s Pesto Chicken and Pasta!
Pesto Chicken & Pasta | Makes 8 Servings
- 2lbs Chicken Breasts
- 1 Cup Pesto
- 1 Box Rotini (I used Tri-Color, but you can sub with gluten free or grain free)
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Place chicken in crockpot with pesto.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Near the end of cooking the chicken, cook the rotini according to package directions and drain.
- When the chicken is done shred and mix in cooked rotini.
- If eating immediately, mix in mozzarella until melted.
- If storing to eat for lunch, portion out into 8 air right containers adding a 1/4 cup mozzarella to the top of each. It will melt when you reheat.
- Store in fridge for up to 4 days.